Adding to the Ambience of your Restaurant Tip 1: Lighting
No one can deny that truly delicious food is the cornerstone of a great restaurant; but you’ll often recognize the crucial role that ambience plays. Ambience can also be referred to as the “mood” or “atmosphere” that a place emits and if you operate a restaurant, you definitely will want to have yours up to par. Think of the dining experience as a simple math equation: dining experience = food + ambience.
Good restaurant ambience is dependent on many factors although we will focus on just one in this article: lighting. You wouldn’t watch a movie at the theater with bright lights overhead, nor would you enjoy bright lighting while eating dinner with your date. The moral of the story? Lighting is a major player is setting the appropriate mood for the type of restaurant and the time of day. There are numerous types of lights and fixtures you can implement in your restaurant. Check out our tips below to learn how to use lights to improve your restaurant’s ambience.
Choosing appropriate lighting for your restaurant
- Dimmer switches : perfect for adjusting brightness for daytime and nighttime guests.
- Colored light bulbs: add colored light bulbs to match and accent your design scheme.
- Fixtures: look for fixtures that fit your restaurant’s theme and personality. For example, some chandeliers can offer an air of class to a space, while some lanterns may add whimsical flair. From ornate to basic, there are light fixtures to fit every restaurant.
- Light up the menu: Always make sure your menu can be read any time of day, either by shining some LED lights on it or utilizing menu light boxes/LED backlit menus.
- Candles: candlelit dinners are by no means outdated! Candles can bring out a classic romantic setting.
There is really no end to the creativity that lighting can bring. Stay tuned for more ambience tips in our upcoming blog posts and check out these great photos below for some inspiration!